In This Episode We Talk About How To Avoid Perfection When Goal Setting
Goal setting is really important. It keeps us moving forward in life, always growing. Of course, the magic is not just in setting the goal, but in the journey to reach it. Sometimes in this journey, we can struggle to find balance in going after our goals, or be motivated by perfectionism to achieve them. New year goals are just around the corner. Let's talk about how you can set those goals, avoid perfectionism and be the best version of yourself.
- It is good to visualize yourself hitting your goal, but why did you choose your desired outcome? Do you visualize a "perfect" ending? Is your goal rooted in becoming the perfect version of yourself or is it rooted in improving? Perfection is not something we experience outside of God's grace. If your goal is to have a perfect body, perfect house, or marriage....you may want to rethink it. While working to be better is great, you have to manage your expectations so you don't get discouraged and give up. Plus, looking for perfection in one area of life will likely take you out of balance.
Now if we think about balance like a pendulum, perfection is when it swings too far in one direction....but what happens when it swings to the other side? Settling.
- Is there an area of your life that you are not setting a big enough goal? Maybe even no goal at all? We can easily slip into the mode of settling. Thinking that everything is good enough. Sometimes this can happen in our careers or marriage. We were not called for a "good enough" life. God has called us to so much more! Fear can often hold us back and keep us comfortable. But what if God has something bigger for you? Set big goals, and go after them. If it is God's will, he will open the doors.
So how do you bring the pendulum back to the center?
- Pray about your goals as you are setting them. Ask God to show you what he has for you, and listen. Can't hear his voice? Maybe it's because he has already told you, and you have not taken action.
- Be sure your goals align with each other. You can't have a health goal to get more sleep while also having a goal to wake up early to workout and stay up late to spend more time with your husband. It just doesn't work.
- Make sure you have systems in place so you have checks and balances. Once a month, check in with yourself to make sure that you are not going after perfectionism or that your goals are big enough to grow you.
Setting goals in a balanced and healthy way is possible. It takes intention, but it is possible. I encourage you to check out our membership, Life Balance. It is all about helping you set goals in a balanced way. It has the systems in place to move you forward and help you grow. Check it out by going to www.YourLifeRocks.com/Lifebalance