Don't let your health goals be a victim of the Holiday season. It doesn't have to be that way! Our guest expert, Lindsay Young, shares 5 tips to help you guard your health this holiday season.
A little about our guest. Lindsay Young is a Certified Transformational Nutrition Coach and Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist living in sunny Southern California. She’s a wife, mama of 3, food enthusiast, and embracer of imperfection.
Lindsay specializes in helping busy women develop a nutrition and lifestyle plan that fits into their real life, so they can gain health without losing their minds. She believes eating healthy can be simple, beautiful, and easy.
Lindsay’s approach to wellness focuses on real food in a real-life context, helping her clients develop a modern approach to a healthy life that is sustainable and joyful, in their homes and out in the real world. She believes living well can mean eating chocolate and enjoying happy hour, learning to trust your body, and embracing food freedom.
Main points from the show
The holidays are this perfect storm of opportunity for weight gain, not only because of the obvious reasons like holiday parties, big festive meals, and sweets galore, but some of the big lifestyle factors are at play against us:
- Shorter, cooler days provide us with fewer opportunities to exercise
- STRESS, a huge hormonal trigger for weight gain
- As working moms, there are so many more chores and tasks that fall under our responsibility: getting out the cards, teacher gifts, sending food for all the kids holiday parties, buying gifts, church performance rehearsals, family tensions, traffic, end of the year work deadlines… all of these things just take more TIME so we have less time for meal prep, sleepless (a huge trigger for weight gain and cravings), and often our healthy eating and exercise habits are what gets pushed aside.
That’s the reality of motherhood, we tend to sacrifice ourselves. Holiday weight gain is not the result of one big meal. It’s the sum of all the small choices and little decisions we make between Halloween and New Years. Five simple & straightforward tips to avoid holiday weight gain:
1) Start your day sweet-free.
2) Get in 10 minutes of exercise every day.
3) Decide ahead of time what to do with food gifts. Don’t bring them into the house!
4) Eat before you go. Don’t show up at parties & events hungry.
5) The three-bite rule. Three polite bites for “special occasion” food.
Connect with Lindsay